Saturday, July 28, 2007

Those left behind

I woke up and rushed Megan and Ethan to the airport at 7:15 Thursday morning. I guess it really didn't hit me that they were going away for a long time until I pulled up to the drop off zone and started pulling bags out of the trunk. We were so rushed that all I could do is give Megan a kiss and pinch Ethan's cheek. It was a pretty sad ride home. When I got home Thursday night after work, the house was too quiet. I just sat around and watched tv. Among the noise of the dishwasher and buzzing generator by our window, I kept hearing Ethan crying. When Megan and I watch tv at night, we always hit mute and listen for a couple of seconds because we swore we could hear him. This happened Thursday and Friday night only I knew it couldn't be so I ignored the urge to stop everything and listen. I guess I'm having a tough time finding stuff to do. I went for a jog this morning for crying out loud. That was the first run of the year. I'm looking forward to going to Utah on next Sunday, not so much driving the moving truck to West Lafayette on Saturday. I'm affraid it might bring back memories of the 36 hour death march from Logan to DC last January. My brother and I made the trek in a 26 foot Penske without stopping but for food and gas. It makes me happy to know that Megan and Ethan are visiting family and having a good time.
ps - I accidentally got a 35 dollar military haircut today. I was waiting for my bro in the Pentagon City mall and he was running pretty late so I decided to get a haircut. It took the lady about 15 minutes to do me up with clippers and then said, "that'll be 35 bucks please". Man, she must live in a mansion if she makes 140 an hour.

1 comments:

M said...

we miss you so much, ryan