Saturday, July 14, 2007

Some of Ryan's genes pull through


When Ryan was a little guy he and his brothers used to bite their dog's ears. You may think I need to preface that sentence, give a good explanation for why someone might find it in them to bite their dogs ears, but I can't give you that. Just ask him - there really is no explanation. They had a couple of miniature Dachshunds and I imagine those long, floppy ears were just too much for them to handle. According to Ryan, little Jesse's ears (one of the dogs) would often be all crusty from someone sucking on them.

So you can imagine how hard I laughed when yesterday, I realized that this little habit may be genetic. Ethan had a hold of his little stuffed puppy, Ted. Of course, Ethan doesn't find much enjoyment in anything unless it's in his mouth, so a few seconds after he saw that puppy he began pulling it in to the great abyss. I heard some real serious chomping going on and looked down to see Ethan going to town on none other than Ted's ear. Later in the day he found more enjoyment in that ear.

So while most people say Ethan looks a lot like me, there is a little bit of Ryan in him as well.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Too funny! Elliot tries to suck on Scout's ears occasionally. It really freaked me out at first, but I am glad to hear that shes not the only one! Now they share more than their striking good looks!

The Roe Family said...

mike says that jessie's ears were long, hairless, and cold. then i asked how old they were when they did this and he said like 12, NASTY!

Earl said...

Yeah, it was all Mike's idea. I remember watching tv in the basement and Jessie would come running down to lay down by me and the tips of her ears would be all crusty from dry spit. I would always wait a couple of days before I felt good about nibbling on them again. That noble beast lived 12 long years before being run over in a freak commuter accident. This last May marked 4 years since her passing. Not a day goes by that I don't think of that airheaded weiner dog.