Monday, July 9, 2007

Methods of taking away the madness

I should be taking notes. I plan on having other children (not because I want to raise them, but because I'd like large family gatherings when I'm older) and the things that I'm learning now about raising Ethan will likely help me when I have another carseat screamer. By carseat screamer, I mean a baby who absolutely hates the carseat. Whether it's sitting backwards (I'd be mad if I had to do that) or hating the motion of the car, Ethan can't seem to enjoy a good car ride.

Before I ever got myself into this mess - by giving birth to a baby- everyone told me that "when your baby won't go to sleep or when he won't seem to stop screaming, you can always take him on a ride in the car. Babies love the motion of the car." Yeah, worst advice I have ever received.

Ethan thinks cars suck and because of this, so do I. It used to be really bad (he screamed the entire hour home from Sandee's once) and I began scratching my eyeballs out. It's calmed down a lot thanks to Ryan Adams' cover of "Wonderwall," by Oasis. Seriously. One day, Ethan started crying and I just happened to be listening to this song and since I've exhausted all other options, I turned it up so loud that I could feel the bass buzzing my rump. And he went silent. Just like that.

Of course, last night it only worked for part of our trip home from Sandee's. But a few minutes is all I need sometimes.

3 comments:

The Roe Family said...

Megan I'm sorry. I've been there Connor cried for the first year of his life. So I totally understand. It must be a Roe thing. All I can say is it gets better! When you hear "duv u mom" it makes it all worth it. Connor was really a demon baby but the car calmed him down. Sometimes I would have to just put him down and go lock myself in the bathroom. This probably saved his life.

shamers said...

our little muqtada didn't like the car for the longest time, either. we also found a song she liked (we love ryan adams; she prefers something with a good, fast beat) and that has helped tremendously. we have one particularly annoying song (to grownups, anyway) that she will quiet down for every time. there have been trips when i have just put that one song on repeat. :)

Earl said...

Really? I guess I am really good at zoning out. When we come home from Sandee's and Ethan is crying, I just think about what I could do to make more money and I'm in another world. I've been thinking about school a lot lately. We had a meeting at work and a group of people were laughing and then they all looked at me. I was pouring some coke into a cup and I said, "huh?". Once they realized I wasn't listening, they all just resumed talking.