Thursday, March 20, 2008

My helper and hinderer

My mom always told me that as a mom, your biggest fear should be silence. Silence is what clued her in to my siblings playing in flour or emptying the contents of a large bean-bag (70s-era luv sac) in the other room. This is how I found Ethan the other day after I noticed that things suddenly got real quiet. He helps me clean out his closet often.

In other Ethan news: He used to be terrified of the vacuum cleaner. I would turn it on and he would scream so loud and high I could hear it over the roar of the vacuum. I would turn the machine off and he would just glare at it.

Then Ethan got to the point where he would laugh nervously when I would turn it on. It was the kind of laugh that I make when I'm watching a scary movie like, say, "I am Legend." I try to giggle during the parts when a very lonely Will Smith attempts to find his dog in a lair of slimy, rabid humans, so I'm not scared to death. It was that kind of laugh.

He still screams when I hit the switch now, but it's a shriek of pure joy. He loves the vacuum cleaner so much now that he chases it around and crawls in front of it like it's chasing him. I think he thinks of it as his pet. I keep almost running over his little fingers and toes because he tries to touch it as I'm cleaning the carpet. When I turn it off, he slowly caresses it while making an "oooooo" sound. It's super funny but really difficult to get things done around here.

7 comments:

Monson Family Fitness said...

How funny! I love how you clarified what a bean bag was (as if we all didn't grow up in that era) I also thought babies liked the sound of the vacuum...but maybe not! I guess Ethan isn't a baby anymore, he's a toddler! GET IT RIGHT BRANDY!

mckenzie said...

so funny. craig follows the vacuum around too. but more out of curiosity, not out of joy. and he used to scream at the blowdryer. i had to start laughing every time i turned it on to get him to think it was funny. now he just starts to laugh.

Kelsie said...

well i think it must be a baby thing. Jordyn is scared to death of the vacuum also. im glad he likes it now.. and yes silence is bad..Jordyn dose the same thing but goes after her dads guitar in my room.. and thats not good...

MiandMiksmom said...

Seriously, that vacuum story is the funniest thing I've ever heard! I can just picture him with the vacuum as his friend...hilarious. I wonder if it's more intriguing to him now because he was so afraid of it before???? Anyway, love the story!

Creel Family said...

What a great picture. I have many just like that. I am waiting for the day when Mikey isn't afraid of the vacuum so your story gives me hope!

Chellie said...

Silence = Trouble

Nan said...

ya, whoever said "silence is golden" doesn't have little ones. It might be nice for a minute but it usually leads to a huge cleaning job!