Monday, March 17, 2008

An affair to remember (and to forget a few things)



Highlights and lowlights of NYC (in no particular order):

* Taking the first road trip with girlfriends in almost four years.
* Arguing over whether the outer casing of a corn kernel can be called a husk as well.
* Walking the "runway" at Bryant Park.
* The fabulous shoes and handbags at Saks.
* The word "fabulous."
* Wishing we had the dolls and accessories at the American Girl store.
* The street hot dogs, pretzels and cashews.
* Seeing the Project Runway designs at the Hershey's store and thinking they look horrible in person.
* Trying to get my photo with the entire Empire State Building right next to the Empire State Building.
* Walking from Grand Central Station to Battery Park, then limping from Times Square to Mormon Temple.
* Realizing that I might never walk again.
* Seeing the original manuscript of Jack Kerouac's "On the Road." Thanks to Julie, I know what that is.
* Trying to find Rachel in Chinatown among a throng of large African (I mean, straight off the plane from Africa) men whispering, "Coach, Chanel, Prada."
* Buying knock-off handbags in Chinatown just to be able to say that we bought knock-off handbags in Chinatown.
* Finding out that DSW in New York has the same shoes as DSW in Arlington.
* Feeling humbled at Ground Zero.
* Singing "The Scotsman" in the middle of Battery Park at the top of our lungs in an effort to get the Statue of Liberty men to dance.
* Taking my first cab ride!
* Eating the absolute best gelato "in the land" (as Julie calls it) at il laboratorio del gelato.
* Eating some OK pizza.
* Losing Rachel's cell phone somewhere in this space of time.
* Finding a dead rat on the side walk as we searched for a cab. Classic.
* Seeing the beautiful flower outfits on models of iconic models in the windows at Macy's.
*** Deciding at the last minute to jump in the same section of Macy's revolving door as Julie and Rachel.
* Tearing up in laughter after all three of us (we were a very tight sandwich) struggled to keep that revolving door going.
* Laughing until we couldn't speak anymore in bed at 1:30 a.m., remembering that cozy revolving door situation.
*** Screaming the entire way to Times Square in a petty cab (guy named Omar in bicycle with chariot behind him).
* Watching Julie jump into the arms of the Naked Cowboy.
* TBS.
* Taking my first shaky steps the next morning and realizing that I might just be able to walk again.
* Holding Ethan again only to find him reaching for Ryan.
* Knowing my husband and my son bonded during my short furlough.

15 comments:

Katy said...

Megan that sounds like so much fun!! That's great you were able to get away with girlfriends, and New York makes it even better. I haven't done that forever either but I'll have to put it on my list of things to do.:)

Kipp and Ashlee said...

Wow, I had forgotten what it was like to have a girls' getaway... sounds so fun! So, how dumb is it that after all the amazing sights you saw, I was most amazed that you saw The Naked Cowboy?

I think I know Rachel. She looks really familiar. Did she go to USU? I can't remember how I know her, but I think I did my freshman year. Maybe I'm crazy, though.

I'm glad Ryan and Ethan made it through the weekend... and I'm glad you can walk again!!

Monson Family Fitness said...

I have never been to new york...i want to go soooo bad! I'm jealous of you! It looked like such a fun trip...and with no boys...awesome!

Unknown said...

I am glad you guys had so much fun! I was so sad I couldn't make it, but it sounds like hillarity insued! Atleast I got to hang out with my sisters and feed Ethan Cheese at church!

Lauren said...

It looks like you guys had amazing time. Road trips are the best.

mckenzie said...

jealousy!

Theurer Clan said...

Fabulous is the perfect word for NYC! That is so fun you got to go for a visit. Hopefully you can make many more trips while you're so close. That city is like no other. It sounds like you girls had the best time!

Monson Family Fitness said...

I think I might have to take you up on the offer to come see you! Maybe after Nat gets married and she can leave her hubby for a little while we should come out and go! That would be so much fun!

M said...

Ashlee-
Rachel and Julie both went to USU. I had the same experience with Rachel. We saw each other and we knew we knew each other but we didn't know how.
You might have seen Julie as well. She was the Activities VP on ASUSU the year Spike Lee spoke at USU.

S&F Seminario said...

Megan,
We will be in DC next week. Maybe we could see you guys?

Lindi said...

WOW!! What a super duper fun trip! I love girl road trips!! The picture with Julie and The Naked Cowboy is PRICELESS!!!

Valerie said...

Ok I LOVE New York!!! I want to go next time!! What fun you must have had!

Julie said...

MEMORIES! Seriously one of the best road trips ever!

Melissa said...

It sounds like you guys had so much fun! I especially love that you belted the Scotsman...show me the true-blooded Aggie from Utah! Once an Aggie, always an Aggie. Please tell me you did the arm motions. I'm glad you ladies made it back safe and sound, the ward just isn't the same without you! :)

Melissa said...

p.s. I'm pretty sure that Jon would LOVE to see Fernando if he's in town, and I just happened to see the comment saying they might be here this weekend...? Keep me posted!