Monday, October 22, 2007

Alarming



Probably the most important thing I have learned in my 8 months as a mother is to never wake my sleeping baby. It took a fire in my high-rise apartment building to get me to do that - and I even hesitated for a few minutes.

I woke up at 4:30 a.m. to a very loud ringing. It took me and Ryan a while to realize it was the fire alarm. We didn't smell smoke but looked out the window and saw others filing out of the building. I sat for a while thinking about how Ethan would likely not go back to bed after we came back in the building. And then I slapped myself, realizing I could be chancing our lives in exchange for a few more hours of sleep.

So we walked up a flight of stairs and smelled smoke (exactly the same smell as when I burnt some peach cobbler a few weeks ago). We walked outside to about five firetrucks and lots of firefighters - but no black clouds of smoke billowing out of windows. It took about 10 minutes before the firefighters stepped back outside and told us to go back to sleep.

Of course, it just wasn't that easy for me and Ethan.

8 comments:

mckenzie said...

Scary! That's rough on the little guy. Craig doesn't sleep as well since he started getting his teeth.

shamers said...

yikes, megan! glad to hear it wasn't any worse than some lost sleep. i know how you feel, though -- i still won't wake emma up for anything....

Julie said...

I glad that all is well! those 4 am fire drills can wake up the dead. I would have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Erica said...

We are so glad you guys are okay!!

Brian said...

Crazy! I am the same way with waking my boys. The same thing happenend to us, but before we had kids, so you definately had is worse!

Lindsay said...

Oops! I was signed in under Brian!

Katy said...

I'm glad everything is okay. That would have scared me way bad. I think the hardest things about having a baby is the whole sleep factor.

Anonymous said...

My sister and I were looking at this, and she said, "man, everyone we know is being evacuated. When are we going to have a flood or something?" I'm so sorry for the evacuation. Maybe someone left their cheese toast in the toaster. (Ryan?)