Friday, September 7, 2007

Undecided


For a long time I have wanted to read "The Kite Runner." Everyone loves it. It's everyones' favorite. Everyone is on the waiting list at the library for it. So finally my turn rolled around.

After reading the first 100 pages, however, I put the book down and decided I did not want to pick it back up. Then I had the urge run to the toilet and throw up, slip into bed, cover my face with my down comforter, fall asleep and forget everything I had just read.

It wasn't that it was boring. It was far from boring. Incredibly descriptive, beautifully written and emotional would be better ways to describe it. You could also use the words horrifying, graphic, shocking and depressing. I wasn't expecting a sappy romance, but I was not prepared for what the characters in this book would go through.

But, of course, I could not just not finish it. So I continued. As I read, I'd catch myself holding my breath in some parts, laughing out loud about others.

And when I finished last night, I cried - hard.

I can't say I liked that book because I didn't. I hated reading many parts of it. But it was amazing and ironic and beautiful and in the end, it filled me up and made me want to tell others to read it.

4 comments:

M said...

She wasn't kidding about the crying part. When she finished, she went into the other room pretending to be doing something but I could tell she was crying. I can't blame her; I was an emotional wreck too after we watched 'blades of glory'.

mckenzie said...

I loved and hated it also. It's one of those books you have to read, like those movies you have to see like Schindler's List. They're the kind of things that shock you and move you and teach you I guess.

Julie said...

you're a better person than I am. I have quite a list of books I started yet did not finish- I am impressed with your dogged determination.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your experience - I still don't think I could do it! I didn't get a chance to tell you today... darling dress!