Thursday, September 6, 2007

Two places at once

"Are you two just taking the Metro?" my grandpa asked.

"No, I think we'll drive," I said.

This may seem like a normal conversation, except for the fact that we were in River Heights, Utah at my grandpa's house. We must have been going to something formal, because I was wearing the sky blue bridesmaid dress from my sister's wedding and was in the process of curling my hair in ringlets (not joking - ringlets). Ryan was ironing his white shirt.

"Well, you could just change trains in Millville," Grandpa said.

"Oh. That's right. Maybe we will."

Then another voice came into the conversation, a strange, very kind, woman's voice.

"Hello Baby," the high, happy voice said.

Then, the tune "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" woke me up. I laid there for a few seconds wondering what was going on. Then Ryan sat up. It all came flooding back.

I was in my dark bedroom in Arlington, Va. sound asleep when something set off one of Ethan's talking toys that must have somehow gotten into our bedroom. Now the tune "Mary Had a Little Lamb" blared. I jumped up to find the toy and turn it off. The heavy comforter had fallen on it and set it off.

I went and got a drink of water (my mouth tasted worse than the Triscuit crackers I had eaten last night) and jumped back into bed and was reminded of my dream.

I chuckled aloud. A Metro or anything like that (and the "free" bus system that hardly anyone uses doesn't count) in Cache Valley, Utah? Yeah, in like 300 years - MAYBE.

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

300 years? I'm gonna say, "Never!"

Julie said...

I rode the cache Valley bus once in the 5 1/2 years that I lived in Logan, I wish I remember why.

mckenzie said...

Hey! I used to ride the bus a lot because someone I know thought they needed the car more than i did. (highschool meg!) it was a very effective form of transportation to get to dad's office and it meant that I spent less time there because the ride was longer than driving.

Great writing meg! I felt like I was experiencing a day in the life of maybe Bella, or Jane, or Meg a new character in a great book.

Anonymous said...

So, I should have believed you that I would get totally hooked on the vampire series, but I didn't. So I didn't think it would be a problem to start reading Twighlight last Sunday. But now I've finished books 1 and 2 and promised myself and Ben (who has been sorely neglected this week) that I won't start book 3 until I'm done with my dissertation defense and commuting. But I was mowing the lawn yesterday and I couldn't help but think about how I couldn't do that in the sun if I were a vampire.

Unknown said...

That's hilarious Megan!