Monday, July 21, 2008

I still have sand in my ears


















Have you ever been slapped by an ocean wave so hard that it spanked you backward, ground your elbows into the sand, then sent your feet flopping over your head? You finally jab your foot into the sand so you can stand yourself up only to feel the subtle undertow lure your knees back out into its next curling wave. Stinging salt water floods from your nostrils and mouth as you giggle, all the while trying to find those sunglasses somewhere in the churning deep and tug that swimsuit back to covering all the important parts. You spot your friends and family, equally disheveled and finding their footing in the water, gearing up for that next big wave. You scream and laugh and secretly hope it happens again.

Later, while drying off on your towel in the sun with a bag of Chex Mix in your hand, you watch your child with bewilderment, wondering just how long that sand will entertain him. But it does, for most of the day, and at the end of all the snacking, lounging and laughing that accompany a trip to the beach, you feel a little sunburned - and so satisfied.

9 comments:

mckenzie said...

genius, pure genius because you are so right.

Kipp and Ashlee said...

That was a perfect journalist's report of a trip to the beach. I loved all the pictures as well. However, the ones of Ryan with his shirt off are a little risque for my taste, but Kipp will enjoy them I'm sure.

P.S. Your turn to visit us! Unless you don't wish to... then we'll visit you instead... even if you don't want us to.

Nan said...

I love all your pics. Loving the video of Chasers and Ethan. So Funny! We sure are missing you guys for the tail end of the Roe party.

MiandMiksmom said...

I love the way you write...thanks for letting me experience that fun day through your words and pictures!

Lindsey said...

What cute pictures. A trip to the beach sounds like fun!
Guess who I ran into when I was home for the 4th? Captain Harris! Funny huh! Bring back some memories?

Katie Davis said...

I am loving the fact that Jack and Ethan's swim ensembles match exactly. To a tee. Great taste, Meg! And what a fun day. You are a skinny minny! You look fab. Glad to see TJ isn't the only one with chest hair either. :)

Erica said...

Oh it looks like you guys had SO much fun! I seriously can't wait to come back to VA, have no job and hang out with you girls all day long!

Melissa said...

Okay...I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little bit saddened by the fact that the ONE weekend we left had to be the one weekend all you lovely ladies headed to the beach--which I have been absolutely craving! So glad you had fun, so sad we missed it! Please say we can do a make-up trip sometime soon!!

shamers said...

looks like such fun! we're taking the mook on her first WEST coast beach trip next week, so stay tuned.

by the way, love that shot of elliot with antlers. :)