Saturday, May 31, 2008

Family time in C'ville

This weekend, the Roe family visited Charlottesville, the most tree-infested place I have ever been (but I've never been to South America or Hawaii).

This place was cool for a number of reasons, besides the greenery and abundance of people with southern drawls. It is home to the University of Virginia, a school founded by Thomas Jefferson. His beautiful estate, Monticello, is just outside the city. And historic downtown Charlottesville was a really hip little place to eat. Squinting in front of the Rotunda, Jefferson's architectural masterpiece on campus.Ethan climbing the Rotunda steps.Stacking jelly packets at a C'ville eatery.
Cheesing it at the home of our third president.


We asked this guy to take our photo in front of the house and, in typical tourist fashion, he got all of us and none of the house.
The flowers at Monticello were beautiful. Some are believed to be descendants of the flowers Jefferson (or his slaves, sadly) planted.
We left Monticello feeling like we learned a lot about Thomas Jefferson.Here's Ethan at the hotel, somewhere near the swimming pool, though there was no swimming to be had.

We would work on his fear of swimming in a pool but now may not be the time, since we got home from our little vacation this afternoon and found an envelope from our apartment manager containing this:
Could this have something to do with a recent post of mine?

14 comments:

Katy said...

Looks like a fun trip. I love Ethan's little cheesy smile. He's so cute.

shamers said...

love charlottesville. looks like you hit all the best spots! did you see e.a.poe's old dorm room?

mckenzie said...

i remember going there. i loved it! how fun! sorry about the pool. you rule breaker you.

the rutledge's- said...

hey meg- little etahn is getting so big, he is so cute. When are you coming to Utah again?

Unknown said...

Ethan looks so cute! I love his hair.

robin said...

Looks like fun. Have you read the John Adams book? It took me awhile after that to like Thomas Jefferson again. What's up with the pool? diggin Ethan's hair!

Laura & Tyson said...

Did they seriously deny you pool access?! What is this world coming to... I better watch out or they might do the same thing to Tyson and I haha. Ethan is soo cute!

Chelsea said...

C'ville looks like a fun place to visit. We'll have to put it on our list. What is up with your pool people? Can they seriously deny you a pool pass? That's lame. You can come swim in my pool =)

Jeremy said...

I can't believe you need to be approved to swim in the pool for the area you live in...I've never seen that before. What in the world is the logic behind that and what is it that qualifies one for a pool pass?

Monson Family Fitness said...

Is Ethan's hair getting blonder? He's gonna be a little toe head like you Meg! I can't believe that you got denied access to the hotel pool! How does that happen? Cool trip by the way!

Outnumbered said...

ethan look like a big kid in those pictures. looks fun!! i can't believe you were denied your pool pass. because ethan wears a diaper?

Hallie said...

Meg- dont' take this the wrong way but...I Love You! I haven't check your blog for a while and I am just dying at all your posts, Saved by the Bell, Megans Hair and of course not getting a pool pass! and by the way Ethan is looking so handsome these days!

Nan said...

What in the heck?! I would take them to small claims court. How can they deny you a pass for something you say but have yet to do???

I'm glad I checked this out. I love all the pictures of Ethan. We need to teach my mom how to check blogs so you don't have to say everything twice.

JEM said...

Man, I swear I've tried to find your blog before and not been successful for some reason. Anyway, I'm glad it worked this time. YOUR BOY IS SO FRAKKING CUTE. Wow. Looks like his mom. But a small, man version.