Tuesday, April 29, 2008

You're welcome to leave nasty comments about my parenting below


The fire alarm went off at 12:30 a.m. today, reminding me of the last time that ungodly noise ripped through our hallway and into our apartment, waking us up in the middle of the night and causing one real dilemma: we had to wake our sleeping child.

Only a parent of a child who had difficulty sleeping through the night for the entire first year of his life will understand why the number one thought on our minds was not the fact that our apartment, which holds every single item we own, might be incinerated in a matter of moments. Or that we might have to hoist our little Ethan out of our second-story window with bedsheets if the fire got out of hand. No, the most important question was whether or not we dared wake the child and risk staying up the rest of the night with him.

Last time we decided to take him out to see those firetrucks - mainly because there were trace amounts of smoke in the hallway.

Last night, however, was a different story. At the sound of the alarm, I jumped out of bed, pulled some clothes and shoes on, grabbed my phone and walked out the door, leaving my son and husband slumbering in their beds. After joining the rest of the pajama-clad residents in the street, one of my neighbors gawked at me when I told her I had left my child inside. I called Ryan to tell him there was no smoke billowing out of the windows. He hung up on me.

The firetrucks arrived and after sauntering in and out of the building for a few minutes the firefighters told us to go back to our apartments and go to sleep. Only we couldn't, because they had difficulty turning the alarm off. Amazingly (and sort of ironically), Ethan slept through all the ringing. And when I finally did get under my covers, I was glad I didn't wake him up.

Throughout today though, I have wondered if I was being cavalier with my son's life for a little extra sleep. What would you have done?

17 comments:

Creel Family said...

I'd have to agree with what you did. Maybe I'm a bad parent too, but I'd do almost anything to keep Mikey sleeping through the night. I think only a parent with a bad sleeper would understand : )

Nan said...

I have had 6 bad sleepers and I live and die by the saying, "never wake a sleeping child". I don't know Megan, but I'm with you too. I think you were smart to go out and see how big of a deal it was. I'm only wondering why Ryan got to stay in bed???

The Bertagna's said...

lol you are so funny. No judgement since I am not a parent yet, but as of now I have yet to leave a building when I hear the fire alarm.

Taryn said...

ha ha. i always sleep through those things!

Kipp and Ashlee said...

I value my sleep, so I think I would do the same thing in your situation (except Kipp would be the one checking it all out, and I would be the one snuggled under my covers). I think you can trust your motherly instinct. If you didn't feel a real danger, then why cause an even bigger ruckus?!?

You should give me your email address so I can email pictures to you!

Melissa Andreasen said...

First of all I have to tell you how happy I am to hear that your son isn't much of a sleeper. I just spent two hours today trying to get my 22 month old down for a nap. She still doesn't sleep through the night! AHHHH! So when our tornado sirens go off, yes I think twice, or maybe three or four times before I decide to get her out of bed.

Anonymous said...

O.K. I'm the bad grandma here but . . . you know what I am going to say!
Better safe than sorry! Sorry.
N

Trisha said...

I would have done the same thing as you did. In fact I have....
:)

Katy said...

I understand the whole sleeping thing because Brian didn't sleep through the night until he was a year too. I've never had the fire alarm go off in the middle of the night and if it did I would probably freak out because I'm kind of a worrier anyway.

Erica said...

I don't judge you at all. I am not a parent yet but would have done the exact same thing!!

JaCee said...

same thing you did, then again, i've been known to leave bailey in the car if she's asleep to run into the dollar store before.....:)

Theurer Clan said...

How frustrating to have those false situations. How can you ever know what to do? It's like my husband said the other day. If as a mother you are doing your honest best, the Lord will make up for the gaps and spaces you leave in your parenting. Keep up your good work. My little one hasn't not slept through the night since she was about 12 weeks old other than a brief wake up here and there when she's been sick. I'm a bad source of parenting advice as far as non-sleepers go other than like I said. Just keep doing your best and what you feel is right!

Roxie said...

you make me laugh! I would have done the same thing..especially since every second of sleep counts for newborns at night..lol!

april said...

Hi! It's April from Logan!! It was good to see your post on our blog! You guys look like you are doing great! Isn't parenthood something else! We are thinking about upgrading our family soon. We will see :)

Artsy Aut said...

We do the exact same thing! We have fire alarms ALL THE TIME! so if there ever was a real serious fire 90% of cyrstal towers would be in trouble! But I always go at least check it out.

robin said...

kinda reminds me of the the little boy who cried wolf. Can't believe you guys have done this twice. My only advice is next time don't both of you stay in bed.

Melanie said...

that is too funny. I would have done the exact same thing.k