Friday, February 1, 2008

Locked out

While living in an apartment has its obvious disadvantages, one thing I like is the trash chute just down the hall from our door. No walking through blizzards to take the trash out or forgetting to drag that large black thing to the road every Monday.

Yesterday I took the trash out. I left Ethan on the floor with his toys and slipped out the door to do something that would take less than a minute - or so I thought.

No, I didn't throw my keys or cell phone down the chute - though I'm always paranoid I'll do that.

I came back to my door to find it locked.

I instantly remembered the building engineer, who had, earlier that morning replaced some baseboards in my apartment. He had come the day before as well, and I noticed when he left, he locked the bottom lock. We never lock the bottom lock - the one that only locks on the outside. Apparently he had done it again and now I was locked outside of my apartment while Ethan was inside.

My second thought was an image of Ethan sticking the toilet brush in his mouth, pulling my lamps off the tables and doing everything else that's absolutely off-limits.

I remembered that our manager had the day off and my landlady did not have my keys so I started knocking on my neighbors' doors to call someone (like Ryan, who was 30 minutes away at work) who had my keys. No one answered their door.

On a whim, I took the elevator down to the bottom entry. As I walked out of the elevator, a maintenance man was walking out of the other door, on his way home. I told him about my situation, and though he didn't have my keys, he found them quickly. I was just glad I took the elevator when I did.

I ran back to my apartment to find Ethan covered in flour. Just kidding. He was still just playing with his toys on the floor. He looked like he had no idea I was missing for 10 minutes.

19 comments:

The Roe Family said...

oh my heck that's scary i don't know what i would do. good job ethan on being a good little boy. you're so cute and i can't believe how big you are getting.

Julie said...

This is my biggest fear! I am glad all turned out well! PS we need to hang out, I miss my Megan!

robin said...

Cute little Ethan he is such a good boy! Wait until he's older and you get locked out by him on accident! I remember leaving Brennen in the car while I washed it at the car wash in Blanding. I thought it was mean to leave him locked in his seat so I let him out and he locked me out. Same situation Jake was over an hour away I knew no one in the whole town and the spare key was home. So I put my trust in a farmer her offered to stay with the car while I drove his big old truck, with the shift on the steering wheel, to get my spare key. When I got back Brennen was throwing groceries at the window and having a great time! I'm so thankful to that nice old farmer who I'm sure thought I was going to destroy his clutch as I pulled away.

mckenzie said...

crazy! you were inspired i think. you know that someday you will find him covered in flour, he is a relative of ben and me.

Lindsay said...

That has to be one of my worst nightmares. I'm so glad he was ok!

Unknown said...

Megan! That is so funny. I loved the part about the flour, because I totally could picture that!!

Emily King Family said...

Megan your family is so cute. I can't believe how were all married with kids. I see Mckenzie all the time at church she is in my stake. I just saw her today at women's conference. anyway's I hope your doing good. I just wanted to say hi.
Love ya,

Emily (Tracy) King

Trisha said...

I hear you on the trash chute! I've ALMOST locked myself out:) But nowdays it would be both me and Naomi locke out, she has to come with me everywhere...

Valerie said...

You always have the best stories on your blog. Not that you want these things to happen to you, but they make for great blogging :)

Laura Lu said...

Wow that was kinda scary but not too bad. You really got me on the flour comment. Dont feel bad, we locked Joshua in the car for 20 minutes once. Ethan is such a cute little man, and I can't believe how big he's getting!

Katy said...

Megan that is soooo scary! I'm so glad you were able to get back into your apartment fast and that Ethan was okay.

Susan said...

James and I got into Joyce Wells' flour draw when we where little. When Joyce and my Mom found us here entire kitchen floor was covered in flour. Crazy Story!

Nan said...

That is so scary. I'm so glad that Ethan is such a good little man! I know how it feels to be locked out of your apt. but at least you were on the inside just not hearing the phone. Ha! You always keep a clear head in these situations. Must be living right!

S&F Seminario said...

Yeah, don't you love it...you get to thinking you have to monitor their every move and then they get on fine without you sometimes! The second child gets monitored less, I admit. You obviously have a very good little boy. I was waiting for the part of the story where you climb UP the laundry shoot like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible. Maybe next time you get locked out.

Theurer Clan said...

Thank goodness for that sweet little guy being so good while all that was going on. Good thing you're so close to the spirit too, and you follow your instincts! Way to go mom!

Anonymous said...

That's a scary little story, but it's good to hear it turned out okay. I haven't looked at your blog in a while, but it looks like little Ethan is growing up fast! I hope you and Ryan and Ethan are doing well, Megan.

-Tyler

C.J. said...

Megan I did that when Trevor was a baby, only I'd left him in the highchair, by the time I got in he'd fallen out and was unconscious. No kidding it was the most frightening thing I'd endured until a similar thing happened to Ginger only she had fallen out of a swing.
Motherhood is dangerous.

M said...

Carole-
I cannot even imagine that. I was so lucky that nothing happened. I'm glad your kids are still alive ;).

Kipp and Ashlee said...

You always seem to have crazy, funny stories!! I'm glad this one had a happy ending!