Thursday, January 17, 2008

Diluvio!

I learned a tiny bit of Spanish in college, but lately I'm thinking it was not enough.

A few months ago, I made a purchase at a national chain store and as I was checking out, the worker asked me for my phone number. I recited it and she typed it in, only to hear a buzzer when she was finished.

"Again?" she asked.

So I told her my number again, only this time I noticed that she wasn't pressing the right numbers. After a third failed attempt at getting my phone number in the store's records, I tried to remember my numbers in Spanish.

"Cuatro, tres, cinco," I began.

I recited my number in her language and laughed that I was having to do this in my American store, here in Arlington, Va.

While that was just funny, my language dilemma became a serious issue yesterday, when I entered my flooding living room. Water was gushing out of my brand new convector. Kind men who spoke what I believe to be several different languages (I'm thinking some were Russian, others Latino and the last guy, I'm not so sure), had replaced my convectors days earlier.

Frantically, I dialed my manager while ripping towels out of the linen closet. An answering machine for a Chinese restaurant was on the other line. I tried again and this time, got the manager's voice mail.

In seconds, the water filled up a large bowl I put under the flow. I knew the convector men were on another floor of the building replacing someone else's convectors, so I grabbed Ethan and sprinted for the stair well. We finally found their equipment in the hallway on the fourth floor. I dashed into a nearby door, which was open. An old lady led me to her bedroom, where a Latino convector man was cleaning up.

"My convector is flooding!" I practically yelled.

He just stared at me.

"Water is coming out all over," I continued.

Another blank stare.

I thought for a second.

"AGUA!" I yelled and pointed at the convector in that woman's apartment.

His eyes suddenly lit up and I knew we had communicated.

"207," I said my apartment number while making the numbers with my fingers.

Luckily the flooding had stopped while we were gone, and the men cleaned the mess up quickly. So I'm learning my emergency words in case of a fuego or robo!

11 comments:

mckenzie said...

we were just talking about how i felt like my spanish classes were useless. i guess i'll wish i hadn't just passed when i'm living somewhere with greater diversity.

Theurer Clan said...

That is hilarious! I tell ya, being a multi-linguist is basically necessary for survival now. I'm in big trouble! I'm proud of you for not just sitting on the floor and crying. That's what I would have done!

robin said...

Jake and I both wish we knew a little Spanish. Especially Jake when in Mexico or on a job site he will get approached by someone who seems surprised when he explains he has no idea what they just said to him.
Sorry about the flood but I'm very impressed with your quick thinking reaction!!!

Paul or Lindsay said...

Never took Spanish...wish I had. Flooding is the worst!! We just made our blog private so send me your e-mail address (lindsampson@yahoo.com) and I'll add you to our list.

Katy said...

That's scary! I'm glad that it didn't do more damage. And good job with the Spanish. It's better than I would have done.

MiandMiksmom said...

Great job with the Spanish... my kids know more than I do...sad. I did learn some very interesting words while waiting tables in college from the cooks. But, I better not repeat those. :)

I'm glad the flood wasn't worse. Did it do any damage?

MiandMiksmom said...

Great job with the Spanish... my kids know more than I do...sad. I did learn some very interesting words while waiting tables in college from the cooks. But, I better not repeat those. :)

I'm glad the flood wasn't worse. Did it do any damage?

Nan said...

Good job! I can't believe you can remember your numbers. When I try to count I get spanish, french and Danish all mixed up. And I thought agua was water in Navajo! I always wished I had learned spanish, it would be so useful.

M said...

Actually, it did flood into the apartment below us, but I haven't heard anything else since I was told about that. I'm just hoping mold doesn't start growing in our floor. At least we don't own it!

Kallee said...

Loved the story, I know just how you feel. Living in California this past summer Clayton and I experienced more than one frustrating conversation at the grocery store...good thing you know more spanish than I do.

Tauna said...

what a day that was for you! So sorry about the flood. I've had to run to my linen closet for towels when our toilet has over flowed. That a joy! You acted way quick though. I can just see you telling that guy what room number you lived in!