Monday, June 23, 2008

Lauding the little

The upside to spending 12 hours a day every day with someone who poops his pants is that small things are magnified. Things that are so simple to do every day, like say, turning off the light or saying the word, "please," are crowning achievements for our little guy. We have become praisers. "Good job, Ethan," is uttered probably more than 50 times a day in our house. I get excited when he zips up a zipper or gets his shoe halfway on his foot. Or when he points out a big truck.

The only problem is that when I am with people taller than 2 1/2 feet, I forget that these tasks may not be so monumental. Like last week when I pointed an airplane in the sky out to Ryan and he muttered, "Yeah, an airplane. Thanks." Or last night when Ryan turned the switch on the lamp and I exclaimed, "Good job!" and had to hold myself back from clapping.

7 comments:

Chellie said...

Love it! That is so cute and Ethan is as adorable as ever!

mckenzie said...

i did that the other day to my ryan. i don't think he caught on, but i'm with you babe. laughing my head off.

Nan said...

That was so funny! Your little Ethan is going to be the smartest ever w/ ever appraising parents. good job!

Nan said...

sorry, i didn't mean "appraising" I meant "praising". OOps!

Monson Family Fitness said...

that's what happens when you're a teacher too...corey hates it when i start talking to him that way! But praising is so good... I still love to be praised...keep it up!

Megan said...

Megan, thank you so much for the info on the park. I took the boys and they loved. I think that will be a place we will visit often.

Thanks again,
Megan

The Nelsons said...

Megan, It is so good to hear from you! I am so glad you were blogger stalking. It is so nice to see that you guys are doing so well. Keep in touch!