Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It's a long story but...

...on Christmas Eve we ended up in the McDonald's drive-through ordering off the dollar menu. As I was laughing at the situation, I thought of my family in Utah eating prime rib and a few tears started to flow. I felt really sorry for myself until the woman at the window handed us my McChicken and small fries.
"Merry Christmas," I yelled from the passenger seat.
She winced, then shut the window.
Ryan said it was because she probably didn't understand English, but I think she knew what I said. I realized that I would much rather be eating at McDonald's on Christmas Eve than working there on Christmas Eve.
I stopped feeling sorry for myself, which was good because the next event of the night was very humbling.
Ryan, Ethan and I went to the visitor's center at the D.C. Mormon temple. Ryan's parents are on a Mormon mission there and his mother, Judi, is in charge of a live nativity held every night. You know where this is going. Judi asked us to be Mary and Joseph on a night when it's pretty hard to find others (though we were the second couple that night) who want to go sit in the cold and show off their dramatic prowess.
Ryan and I have zero experience in drama, but Judi and a sister missionary gave us a great 15-minute training and we got out there and acted our little hearts out. The first few times were shaky. I would stand up at the wrong time or Ryan would turn spotlights on the wise men when the narrator was talking about shepherds. But we got the hang of it after a while and it turned out to be a lot of fun.
There were so many people there watching. We even got a few hecklers.
After doing the nativity scene 11 times we went back to Ken and Judi's, played games, visited and ate junk food, which we continued when we woke up in the morning.
Ethan got lots of presents and a haircut on Christmas. He still doesn't look like my baby. But he's even cuter if you can imagine that.
It was such a memorable Christmas!

8 comments:

Paul or Lindsay said...

So funny and fun! You will never forget the Christmas when you made your big debut!

Chellie said...

I loved reading this! Sometimes when we think we have it "bad," someone else probably has it worse. It can be humbling and so important to be thankful for everything in our lives on a daily basis.
I would have loved to see your production at the temple!! How cool is that!!?

Outnumbered said...

i'm so sad i missed it!!!

Katie Davis said...

I'm sure you made a lovely Mary. I always thought Ryan would have been a great thespian during high school! Ethan is too cute and if anybody thought he didn't look like a mini Ryan before, the haircut had to have changed their mind! He is a mini me! Glad you had a good christmas- miss ya!

MiandMiksmom said...

That sounds so fun! What a great experience. It also really puts things in perspective...so true.

Kallee said...

Meg, it was so fun to hear from you. Wow..your baby boy is beautiful. I can't believe you are living in D.C. Clayton and I will be moving there this summer. Where are you living??? You have a beautiful family and you look so very happy! I loved the Christmas story....I bet you made the most beautiful Mary of all.

Nan said...

Wow! What a great story. You guys are very blessed to be able to acknowlegde these special times when they are actually happening. I know how hard it is to be away from family for the first time at Christmas & I must say you handled it very well!

Valerie said...

I would have loved to see you and Ryan play the Mary and Joseph. How did you stand to be out in that cold? What a fun Christmas Eve.