Friday, December 14, 2007

I am a stuffy American


Ethan and the Washington Monument made completely out of leaves.

My favorite monument, the Jefferson. I love how the dome is the top of a gourd. I wish I had taken a better photo of him inside.

The Capital building.

The real one.

Watching trains go by with Elliot and Ava.

Today Ethan and I met Julie and Elliot and Adelle and Ava at the Botanical Gardens. Right now there are these neat to-scale models of the important buildings and monuments in Washington made completely out of plant materials (see photos) on display and some pretty amazing trains - not to mention the thousands of poinsettas.

As we walked through, I stopped to take a photo of Ethan and a Washington Monument made of leaves. A group of people from Asia approached me and one of the men asked if he could take photos of Ethan. I said yes with a laugh.

Then, one of the women in the group came up and picked Ethan up right out of his stroller. I stood there in shock for a moment, wondering how anyone would even think it was right to pluck someone else's baby out of a stroller without asking them. The lady then began to kiss Ethan and pose for the camera. I finally got the guts to say something and with a weak smile I mustered, "Um, I probably need to catch up with the people I'm here with."

The lady just smiled at me and then back to the cameras that were wildly shooting her photo with my son. After what seemed like several minutes, she put him back in his stroller. But the cameras kept clicking. I sat for a second, wondering if I should just walk off while they were taking photos (I don't think they understood that I needed to leave). Then out of the blue, another woman came up and picked him up.

It was at that moment that I felt like laughing out loud. I began to imagine the culture from which these people came. And then I thought of that security bubble that we keep around ourselves here in America. And I realized that I am a stuffy American who probably needs to relax a little bit.

But really, who wants a picture of themselves and someone else's baby?

14 comments:

James said...

I can't believe you went without me! I waited all day for your phone call. I guess I'll go eat worms.

shamers said...

i totally want a picture of me with your baby. when can we arrange that?

MiandMiksmom said...

That is crazy! I kept waiting for you to say that they realized it wasn't their son or grandkid or whatever after they had their photo shoot! I guess they just realized how gosh, darn cute he is!

BTW, your pictures are beautiful and that looks like an amazing place!

mckenzie said...

so funny and cute! love the train photo. nothing cuter than three babies staring in awe with their mouths open. man i wish i was there. i'm craving d.c.

Trisha said...

I had no idea that the Botanical garden had those cool things right now!!! I have to go! And WOW is all I can say about the pictures, it's totally funny. I don't think you're stuffy, we just have a different "comfort" level and it usually doesn't include strangers holding our babies:)He must have been looking pretty stinking cute!

Emilie said...

Funny story... You're right about it just being a different culture, I think! Garrett and his brother grew up in Asia and his mom always tells a story about some random lady coming and picking up Garrett's brother out of her arms and taking him somewhere else for her family to photograph him. She thought the lady was trying to kidnap her baby and had to run after them.

Kipp and Ashlee said...

Megan and Ryan!!! We miss you guys so much! We refuse to play Scrabble "take-two" style without you guys. Ethan is adorable and we can't wait to meet him. Has he been asking about us a lot? It's probably hard being raised without knowing his godparents. We love you guys!

P.S. Cute blog!

robin said...

Way funny. I want a pict of me holding and kissing on Ethan. He is so cute.

Karen said...

Hey Megan, I found your blog through Jacee's and just wanted to say hi. Your baby is soooo cute!!! I loved your story and love the pic of all the babies watching the trains...classic. Hope you guys are doing well!!

Nan said...

We have lots of pics of Ethan on our screen saver slide show and we LOVE it! The kids really love it. I miss D.C. and would love to be there this time of year!

Chellie said...

That place looks awesome! How fun! It's a funny thing when oriental people come across a blue-eyed, blonde. It is so foreign to them that they love to get pictures of it. When I was in Japan, one of the girls I was with was very blonde and blue-eyed and she got stopped every where we went because someone wanted a picture of her.
I would have felt the same way you did :) It must be our culture. :)

Julie said...

I still can't believe that it happened! It totally blows me away. Why does this stuff always happen to you? They are the best stories!

Hallie said...

that's so funny, and creppy at the same time!

The Roe Family said...

What a cutie pie. Wish you were coming out. I can't believe Ethan is crawling. Chase is just about there.