Saturday, August 25, 2007

We're not in Utah anymore

Since I traveled back from Utah, I've noticed how different it is from Arlington. The two places are like polar opposites.

First off, there are zero hippies here (they are coming out of the storm drains in Logan).

More obvious differences are the dry Utah air v. the humidity here. You know when it's really cold outside when the inside of the windows fog up in your house because it's really warm inside. Yeah, well my windows are fogged up right now - in the 95-degree weather. The weather is so hot and humid outside that the windows of my air-conditioned apartment are fogged up on the outside. I've never seen that before.

This week I experienced another completely new thing. As Ethan and I were walking out the door earlier this week, I stopped completely and looked outside. "Is it snowing?" I said aloud. It was 80 degrees outside; there was no possibility for snow. But the way the tiny drops wisped down, swaying to the side as they fell, it looked like micro-flurries coming down. I stepped outside to feel cool, wet pricks kissing my skin. It was mist. It was cool.

Another visible difference are the trees here and the lack thereof in Utah. When in Utah, my sister McKenzie and her husband Ryan took us to play Frisbee golf at the Utah State University campus. It was so much fun and we couldn't believe that we lived in Cache Valley almost our entire lives and never known about the Frisbee golf course.

So when we got back to Arlington, we immediately looked online to see if there was a course here. We found one on the Internet.

Last night I sent Ryan out to get me some donuts and he came back with a Frisbee golf set and no donuts. So we went to the large park only to find that the golf course was in the middle of a dense forest. In Utah, we played in open fields and I still hit every tree (there were like 10 on the entire course). Here we had to try and shoot the Frisbee through tiny gaps in trees and over large sections of dense brush (which we both had to rummage through several times to find our neon-colored frisbees). There was never an open shot.
Despite the difficulty of the course, it turned out to be a blast.

Though the two places I call home are very different I like both Cache Valley (Utah) and Arlington a lot. This further proves my theory that you can be happy anywhere; you just have to find good things wherever you are.

P.S. I will post photos of our flying disc (no trademark) adventure when Ryan gets home from school (yes, school on a saturday). He has the camera in his car.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you are back. I enjoyed the observations of Logan v. Arlington. I can totally relate.

I have been a big time slacker on my blog! I am finally working, and Shiloh left for Idaho on Thursday, so when Ryan has Saturday class we can go find things to do.

Give me a call sometime.

Jeremy said...

Isn't humidity crazy!?!

When I was on my mission in KY and IN, sometimes at night in the car I would have to turn the windshield wipers on to wipe away the mist in the air from the humidity. I remember the first time it happened I thought: "Are you kidding me? It's so humid that I have to use my wipers so I can drive and it's not even raining?"