Thursday, October 16, 2008

Learned this one the painful way


Ethan doesn't wake up in the middle of the night often, but when he does I become a super grumpy mom. I try to be civil, so I enter his dark room and lift him out of his crib, lay him on the bed nearby and lie down next to him. My mood transforms as he reaches around my neck with his stubby arms and pulls my face to his. He places my cheek to his cheek and we lie there, breathing in each other's hair.

We were locked in this embrace a couple of mornings ago and when Ethan finally let go of my neck, I noticed that my cheek was wet. In the dark I traced around his face with my fingers and noticed that his ear was also damp. I imagined that tears had fallen into his ear as he was crying when he first woke up.

Ethan talked and sang but never fell back asleep, so after a couple of hours I finally decided to get up for the day. When I reached for my son I noticed his ear was still wet. I picked him up, turned on the light and felt my stomach twist.

Out of my son's ear and reaching across his cheek was one of those humongous worm boogers that hang out of kids noses while they are playing outside in the dead of winter. Only this was no snot, and when I gently pushed on the outside of his ear, more of the gooey stuff flowed out.

I immediately knew I had failed my child. Earlier that week, I had decided that at 20 months he had already reached the terrible twos and that would explain his extremely whiny behavior. I remember thinking he must just be really tired when he was grabbing at his ears. I had wondered why, during his recent baths, he had freaked out when we laid his head down in the water. And after who knows how many days of my ignorance and inaction, Ethan's eardrum - under the extreme pressure of infection - had finally ruptured.

I thought he would be deaf and angry with me for the rest of his life. But the doctor acted like it was no big deal. We just need to give Ethan some antibiotics for a couple of weeks and his ear will heal!

The bad news: there is still puss oozing out of his ear and getting all over everything. More good news: without the earache, my kid is pretty happy now so I think we still have a few months until the terrible twos.

12 comments:

Candice said...

Don't feel bad we ALL do that! I did it to Payton the other night and she ended up throwing up on my floor by the side of my bed!

Valerie said...

Oh poor Ethan, I'm glad he's feeling better. It's hard being a good detective when our kids can't tell us what's wrong.

Katie Davis said...

Oh no! How sad! Poor little guy. I hope it heals fast.

Nan said...

I'm so sad that happened to little Ethan. I sure missed hanging with you guys. I found the mall that you were telling me about on thurs and it was sweet. Sorry things didn't work out but Ethan's comfort is #1. Just the fact that he would have missed his nap would have had me thinking twice. I missed seeing you but I had a blast and all worked out.

robin said...

I hate to one up you but... imagine that same thing but blood. Brennen's ears use to bleed when they burst. I took him to the dr. once and a mom informed me there was blood coming out of my childs ear. I just said, I know that's why I'm here.

shamers said...

yikes! glad it will (hopefully) be easy to fix.
you're still a super mommy, though -- you know you are. :)
kiss his little head for us.

Susan said...

sorry to hear about Ethan's ear and I hope that antibiotics will do the trick.

MiandMiksmom said...

Oh My Goodness...how terrible! I hope he's doing better. That sounds scary.

Kipp and Ashlee said...

Oh, sad for both of you! I'm glad it's going to be ok, though.

Fowler family said...

Hey Roes- so fun to catch up on your blog. I am so sorry Ethan had an earache/rupture. Johnny had an infection a few nights ago and something kind of similar happened- he woke up midnight and I comforted him and then let him cry it out. In the morning there was a ring of goo on his mattress and his ear was caked. He's got ear tubes, so nothing ruptured but all the infection oozed out the tube. I too felt so bad- if I'd have known he was dealing with an ear infection, I would have totally babied him.

Miss you guys

the rutledge's- said...

Having a sick kid is the worst! How are you anyway Meg?

Chellie said...

Poor little guy! that is so sad! I'm so glad you discovered the culprit!