Friday, August 1, 2008

Deeeeeep thoughts


Ryan and I went on a date tonight. That occasion itself is blog-worthy considering the last time we got out sans Ethan was probably around Christmas. So we went to Batman, which I was expecting to hate. I say this because any time a movie is especially hyped up, I am usually disappointed when I see it.

Take Titanic, for example. My mother would not allow me to go see Titanic with all my girlfriends and since I couldn't drive at the time, I was powerless. I cried for days. The movie broke records at the Oscars. I viewed it years later on T.V. and could not believe the cheese-fest. I don't think I ever thanked my mom for saving me the $5. By the way, it cost the two of us $20 to go to the movie last night and that is with a student discount!

So I was not expecting Batman to be anything spectacular. Here are my thoughts on the matter:

* I don't care about allegations of assault against his sister and mother. ;) Christian Bale is a hottie.
* Maggie Gyllenhal was a much more convincing Rachel than airy-voiced (and probably -headed) Katie Holmes.
* I love how Bruce Wayne purposely appears to be this total rich loser in public, but is really brave and incorruptible when he is in private or dressed in a bat suit.
* I know what you are thinking - that I'm totally crushing on Batman - and you are right.
* Believe everything you heard about Heath Ledger as the Joker. I had to cover my eyes every time he got close to someone's face. He was creepy and hilarious at the same time. Amazing.
* I loved, loved, loved Aaron Eckhardt as Harvey and I can't wait to see him in the next Batman.
* I love Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman.
* I'll admit, I rolled my eyes during a couple of particularly lame parts.
* I thought the movie couldn't go on after an unexpected, heart-breaking moment. But it did, and kept me entertained the entire time.
* If you couldn't tell already, I really enjoyed this movie.

* Sorry Ethan, that your blog has turned into movie and television show reviews. Do you think it's time for a blog name change?

15 comments:

the rutledge's- said...

Meg- thanks for your review, I wasn't sure about this one either, but i have heard alot of good things. When are you coming out to Utah again?

Kipp and Ashlee said...

I'm sorry to break it to you, but Batman (Christian Bale, whatever you want to call him... he asked me to call him Batman, though) is MINE!!! I saw the movie before you, so that's the way it goes! And I need to sit down with your mom and sister and knock some sense into them=). I loved Batman as well. I was worried about the length, but I ended up wanting it to continue on forever! And about Titanic, I think it was a better movie when we were young. It really is pretty cheesy now.

Kipp and Ashlee said...

I'm an idiot... I was reading your post really fast earlier because I was in a hurry, but then just came back to it and realized you said nothing about your mom and sister disagreeing about Bale's hotness. I think I just skimmed the "I don't care" and "sister and mother" and "Christian Bale is a hottie". I'd like to reiterate that I'm an idiot.

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taryn said...

we saw it too. it was pretty entertaining...but i struggle with movies that don't end "happy ever after".

Paul or Lindsay said...

OK-- I was a little older than you and could drive at the time, so my best friend and I saw Titanic 5 times and cried every time, and listened to that darn Celine Dion song about a million times. Years later, I saw it again...seriously 5 times!!! Was I nuts? That's 15 hours of my life I will never get back. I needed your mom to prohibit me from going. As for batman, I'm not a big "summer blockbuster" fan, so we'll see...your recommendation has me rethinking this though.

mckenzie said...

i'm dying to see the movie, but at this point it doesn't look like it will happen until redbox, forever. thanks for the review though. genius as always.

Monson Family Fitness said...

I'd have to agree, I thought it was pretty awesome! And Heath did an awesome job as the joker! I loved when the bat-mobile mutated and then he drove the sweet motorcycle out! It was pretty cool!

JaCee said...

you are definately one i would trust with a movie review, so thanks! cole was going to see it last week, but he's waiting to see it with me when he gets home from training - how romantic eh?

Hallie said...

glad you liked we have seen it twice already...just had to you know as we realise our moving going days will soon be a bit more hard to come by!

C.J. said...

It would be interesting to know if your mother would have let you see THIS movie--since all I've heard was that is pretty violent. Back to the Titanic--admit that you would have loved it had you seen it at !4. And to be fair it is a big screen movie. :) But I'll still side with your mom even though we were more permissive than she was.OK,I still want you mom to come to our house that she helped design, it's totally wonderful.

Tauna said...

Meg! wow- you are a genius... I feel like i know so much about the movie all ready. I guess it's quite the movie huh- I heard joker was amazing good. How fun you two are- going on a date.
we miss you.... come back!!!!!

Theurer Clan said...

I'm so glad you liked it! Steve really wants to go and I've been hesitant. Sounds like we'll have to go see it. I have a crush on batman too. Don't worry!:)

Nan said...

Congrats on the date! Wish we lived closer to babysit for you.

Haven't seen the movie and have had no desire since Robins boys review of it...freaky and dark. But maybe we'll give it a shot.

Chelsea said...

Loved it, loved your review. And I'm crushing, too.